This Art Journal and Illustration course takes place every week at the studio. It is possible to take just one class, or to join on a regular basis (a 290 € individual 10 class pass, valid for 3 months, is available in the “Gift & Goodies” section).
This course aims at developing observation skills, drawing and painting techniques, but also creativity and imagination.
You will study several technical aspects (perspective, figure drawing, composition, color, value, portrait…), following a regular practice. The sketchbook can be continued at home, it is a tool for exploration and a basis for your other artistic works. Depending on your personal search, this creative sketchbook can combine text and drawings, or be the first step of an illustration project.
The class is organized around a subject. Each participant will be helped considering their drawing skills and personal aims.
The annual program combines the following elements:
1. Create Your Own Colors, Use Values and Shades, Combine Complementary Colors: You will study the color wheel, and work from primary colors in order to develop a personal palette.
2. Compose: You will learn how to layout a drawing, choose your frames, sketch.
3. Create Figures and Approach Portrait Drawing: Some classes are dedicated to drawing figures and animals, or to portrait drawing. From observation drawing, you will move on to creating figures.
4. Learn the Basics of Perspective Drawing, Work With Light and Shadow to Create Backgrounds: You will learn how to create depth, render volumes, set landscape lines in order to create scenes and backgrounds. You will master contrasts, light and shadow effects.
5. Develop Your Creativity: Your art journal is the best tool for your creativity! Dedicated to your personal researches, this sketchbook enriches your visual arts practice, and opens infinite creative possibilities.
- Let me know about your personal project (improve drawing and painting skills? discover mixed media? create illustrations? stimulate your creativity?…), so that I can adapt my teaching to your needs.
- In addition to this class, join the Watercolor Sketching Classes and the Travel Sketchbook Workshops to practice observation drawing!
- Courses cost 40 €/person for 2 hours, in groups of 3 to 6 persons. Enjoy a 5% discount when booking 2 places, 10% for 3 places, 15% for 4 or 5 places, 20% for 6 places (the discount is automatically applied and will appear in your cart).
- A 290 € individual 10 class pass, valid for 3 months, is available in the “Gift & Goodies” section.
- Upon booking, you will receive a booking confirmation. Make sure to note Pauline’s phone number, in case you were late.
- Supplies: You will need a sketchbook (size A4 or A3, i.e. standard photocopy size or twice as big), and depending on the weeks, all or part of the following:
– Pencils (2B, 4B, H), eraser, pencil sharpener;
– Drawing pens such as Pigma Micron or Faber & Castell (small, fine and medium tips);
– Small watercolor box, watercolor brush, water jar, rag/wiping paper;
– 4 tubes of acrylic paint: 3 primary colors + white; 2 or 3 acrylic paint brushes; water jar; rag;
– Small box of oil pastels;
– Color pencils;
– Scissors and glue.
According to your wishes, you can also bring:
– Small box of chalk pastels;
– Nib holder, nib and India ink;
– Thickening medium for acrylic, painting knife;
– Felt pens;
– Charcoal, chalk…
You will also need to gather documentation over time: photographs, papers, materials that inspire you.
NB: You can buy the supplies from the “Gift & Goodies” section of the Website.
- Classes are taught in French and English.
- They take place at my studio: 7, rue Chevert 75007 Paris. NB: In relationship to the Covid-19 situation, everyone must wear a mask during the class (bring your own mask). Hydroalcoholic solution and soap are at your disposal at the studio to wash your hands upon arriving. Thank you for keeping distances, and for bringing all your supplies so that you don’t have to borrow any (erasers,pencil-sharpeners, brushes, water jars, etc.). Let’s all keep creative, safe and healthy!
- Group of 3 to 6 participants.
- This class is open to adults and teenagers 12 years old and over.
You will find more details in the FAQs. I am happy to help if you have any question.
NB: It is possible to offer gift-certificates for courses and workshops (see “Gifts & Goodies”). Don’t hesitate to ask us!